More Than This Provincial Life is a feature at YA Indulgences where I share non blogging or book related things. Generally this feature will focus on movies, music, tv shows, etc. Anything not book or blogging related basically.
Hey everyone! It’s time for a More Than This Provincial Life post. I haven’t done one of these in foreverrr. Guess what I’ll be talking about? HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER. You may have seen my tweets with the hashtag #AmberBingesHTGAWM.
And what a binge it was, I literally finished the first season and what there is of the second season in two days. I feel accomplished. That’s probably bad. Oh well. At least it’s not as bad as when I watched two and a half seasons of Degrassi with an old college roommate. #AllMyWorthIsInTVBinging
So what got me started on How To Get Away With Murder was me trying to get my cousin to watch Gilmore Girls and she wouldn’t do it, so instead I got her to go back to episode 1 of HTGAWM so I could watch. Of course, she left halfway through the episode, but you know, whatever.
I JUST THOUGHT OF THE FUNNIEST THING EVER.
But I’m not going to say it, it’ll show in my tweets that I share. 😀 I’m just so amazed right now, omggg.
Another funny thing? My cousin still isn’t caught up on HTGAWM, yet I am! But then again, she has a thing called work which takes up most of her time. More TV Binging for me then. 😉
I decided I would share my thoughts I had while watching the show! If you don’t want to read them all, you don’t have to, but I find them amusing. A little. Some. Mostly my tweets. Which I’ll be linking as well because, well, that’s what I do. This post WILL include spoilers, so if you have not seen ALL of season 1 AND part 2, there will be slight spoilers. I’ll be separating season 1 and 2 though, So yes. Proceed with caution
The tweet that started it all:
~All My Thoughts On How To Get Away With Murder S1~
A Little Bit of HTGAWM, A Lot More Everything Else
Things I Discovered while watching HTGAWM
Thoughts while watching HTGAWM
- I need an apple corer in my life.
- OMG, LIZA PLAYS PARIS, Now I just want a VMars spin off with Paris and Veronica. Pleaseeee.
- How great is it that Liza plays Paris AND Bonnie? It’s like omg.
- Why’d they start making these Sweet Tarts smaller? Ugh. Annoying “Know your serving, 13 pieces”. They meant box*
- Why must the cheater always get mad at the cheatee? Sigh.
- Nice tactic though, make it look like she had a reason to be suspicious so she didn’t look like she was cheating herself.
- She is such a liar though and I see right through it.
- I don’t think she’s the one Waitlist is protecting though. It’s whoever he lives next to.
- Ooh, this one girl’s thinking. What is it…
- “No, he’s a hunter, he knows how to kill.” Get it girl whose name I still don’t know! Heck yeah.
- There you go!
- OH MY GOSH HE CONFESSED, OH MY GOSH. Whoa.
- Yesss, I love Waitlist, he knows what he’s talking about. Or at least, he’s smart about what he thinks. One day I’ll know his name. Today’s not that day.
- “The quiet ones are usually the most dangerous.” “What the hell just happened?”
- I. Love. It.
- Oh snap, what is Bonnie hiding? MAYBE SHE’S THE ONE THEY’RE PROTECTING. Ooh…
- Okay, so the daughter did it. WHAT KIND OF FATHER SAYS “AND I’LL FIND AWAY TO PUNISH *INSERT* FOR THAT.? I MEAN REALLY? REALLY THAT’S NOW SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE. A CHILD KILLS ONE OF THEIR PARENTS AND THE OTHER JUST FINDS A WAY TO “PUNISH” THEM FOR IT. UGH.
- This may have hit a bit too close to home.
- Not that anyone murdered anyone though, that I know of, that I personally know.
- And here we go with the “I’m just going to check their phone real quick” sigh.
- Ahhh, so she thinks her husband was screwing Lila which I bet leads to her killing Lila which leads to her husband finding out which leads to the college kids killing/finishing off her murder of her husband. Mystery solved? (Theory)
- Second sex scene of the episode, great…
- Then again, I made it through Game of Thrones which was a lot worse with just about everything so…
- Oh okay, wait, so my theory, but in reverse. I bet her husband killed her, then Annaleise finds out, which leads to her husband wanting to kill her/attempting to kill her, which leads to her (accidentally) killing him, which leads to the college kids finishing off the murder of her husband. Now is the mystery solved?
- Almost everyone has a lock on their phone these days, now where/who is HTGAWM’s resident hacker? They’re useful for these kinds of shows.
- Okay, so the murder’s not that easy.
- Omg, they are protecting her.
- Oh, I bet Rebecca did it.
- OH MY GOSH, WAS SAM (Annaliese HUSBAND) SCREWING LILA AND SHE MURDERED SAM?
- Hmm, Walsh has the trophy which was uncovered in the murder of Sam…
- Oh man, Sam was lying about going to the meeting. Or he was in a hotel room somewhere…with a student?
- Omggg, that guy dated her boyfriend, ha. #AmberBingesHTGAWM And the plot thickens.
- Omg, Bonnie is SO Paris. I can’t take it anymore, I love ittttt. #AmberBingesHTGAWM
- That’s going to get old fast for people.
- Omg, the girl they just let out is a fugitive for bombing something or other, omg.
- On the contrary Paris, everything DOES in fact involve a murderer.
- From here on out, I shall call Bonnie as Paris. If you don’t know who Paris is or who forgets who Paris is…I’m sorry. Now go watch Gilmore Girls before the next HTGAWM.
- Patty Hearst! Now I can only think of that Patty Hearst song…
- Omg, is this girl the girl that plays Melissa on Pretty Little Liars.
- Nope, false alarm, my bad. Hopes dashed.
- Omg omg omg, Wes has the phone that Rebecca left, which has a caller talking about Lila knowing a person that could hook him up. Omggg, Lila did drugs. Omggggg, Lila was killed by Rebecca.
- Okay, so Lila didn’t do drugs, she just hung around a lot of people. She has secrets, I like secrets. Let’s hope her secret’s a little better than Lily Kane’s. Speaking of Lily, sounds like Lila will be HTGAWM’s very own Lily Kane and Laura Palmer. My gosh do these murder mystery writers like L names. And Blondes.
- I’m very disappointed I haven’t thought of this beforehand.
- They should’ve named these shows, How To Get Away with Murdering Blonde Teenagers with L Initials.
- Okay, so that wasn’t my best, um, whatever the word is* insult/smartass remark. I’ll try harder next time.
- How To Get Away With Murdering L initialed Blonde Teenagers
- Sounds like a Panic! At The Disco song.
- I don’t hate it.
- Come back Ryan Ross!
- Right, HTGAWM.
- Lololol, boyfriend did it.
- Lololol, don’t swear to God when you JUST talked about how you had A. Cheated on your girlfriend, B. Had sex and C. Broke a vow you made to God.
- Oh you silly characters.
- Why do the rich guys always make me side eye them? They’re just never convincing, they always sound so fake.
- Oh Wes, you’re so sneaky.
- This would have been better as a VMARS scene. And it would’ve had a cool voiceover.
- Oh no no no, I can’t take a show seriously where you’re not a lawyer and don’t quiet your voice down. Hello, cameras????
- Mark this tweet, the downfall of HTGAWM and it only took less than two episodes. Come unraveling now, show. Seriously, what is he doing just talking to her at the jail all loud, like, hello, there are CAMERAS around and they probably record you which means they can find out, WES, that you’re not a public defender. Shake my head so hard. This scene reminds me of one in Veronica Mars and it WAS much better than this. Sorry.
*looks at first tweet about show* (Eight hours ago)
- Oh, I should be on like the eighth episode by now. My bad. (Still on the second episode)
- Oh okay, now they lower their voices, good, some redemption.
- So I know Wes trying to help was really stupid, but why would you just throw him out like that? Never mind, I know. Because it’s really stupid.
- A gay guy & a bisexual guy locked away in a boarding school in boring New Hampshire? Why it sounds like a John Green novel!
- Ok so husband finds out that Annaleise is helping Rebecca who actually killed Lila so then husband gets murdered by Annaleise and then has the college kids cover up the murder, leading to Wes helping Rebecca. Mhm. Mystery solved? (4:38am) (28.59 minutes into third episode) (I was really helpful about this one)
- Oh snap, cult guy turned on what’s her name/bomber. Dang, I guess I should’ve seen it coming.
- Oh, it was a set up, how Veronica Mars-esque
- Omg, Annaleise’s boyfriend lied about her husband’s whereabouts!
- OMG, MICHAELA LOST HER ENGAGEMENT RING, THEY’RE GOING TO FIND IT AND USE IT TO CONVICT HER OF THAT ONE GUY’S MURDER, OMGGGGG, NOOOOO.
- Those two totally hooked up, Bonnie and Annaleise’s husband. (Ep 3)
- “Am I the only one psyched about this? We get to be SPIES”. Yes<3 S1E4
- That guy just killed himself…my feelings…I can’t…
- “You’re no longer a lawyer, you’re a detective in an interrogation.”
- Oh wow, that’s Analeise’s phone…that’s why she kills him or he kills her, the other finds out
- Wow, Annaleise tries really hard to maintain her image. 😦
- Oh no, this first juror is totally lying about everything, the english teacher.
Oh my gosh, I bet Sam totally killed Lyla. I like Rebecca’s tendency to seemingly worry over him.
YESSSSS, Wes knows about Annaleise and Sam. I’m team Rebecca.
I love this episode.
OMGGGGG, What’s his name, rich guy is screwing Paris.
Reminds me of Vivian Darkbloom I DON’T TRUST THIS GIRL AT ALL.
Sam is trash too, kissing Paris, ugh.
- I think I liked it before the murder was found out. Hmm.
- Ooh, Frank and Rebecca confrontation over Rebecca lying about Sasha. Hmm. I don’t really remember who Sasha is anymore…
- Wow, those two dumb lawyer people talking about Annaliese need to quit. Wow.
- They’re going to turn themselves in, ten dollars said they don’t go through with it or pin it on someone else.
- Awww,“Look, if Aiden doesn’t want to marry you, it just means there’s someone better around the corner”, that is like the nicest thing he ever said!
- Oh and Wes and Rebecca are at the station when Laurel, Michaela and that one guy are at the station.
- Laurel told Frank what happened…Laurel goes sees Wes and tells her that that he knew which means Anneliese knows (but Laurel doesn’t know that) he knows but now she does and Laurel says that Michaela and what’s his name are going to confess and blame it on Wes and Rebecca.
- Ooh, the sister in law is in town now.
Hamrick Hotel, Phildelphia Christmas Day
Anneliese sleeping. Nate calls, doesn’t answer
December 26th-Dec. 31st, wakes up, drinks, flashbacks.
Oh wow, this woman says her husband is holding two girls captive…
North Philadelphia, Christmas Day, Wes&Rebecca
Ooh, Rudy’s family sent Rudy a card but Rudy doesn’t live there anymore. What’s up with this. Mysterious…
Oh I bet this woman is lying, whoa, she’s going to make Ann look bad.
West Palm Beach, Christmas Day: Laurel being unimpressed with her dad
THEORY: Bonnie killed Lyla and Sam tried to cover it up.
Ohhhh, Laurel speaks spanish, I love it. I didn’t know she was Mexican or Latina.
Sam’s sister is obnoxious.
MORE CONNOR EXAMINING THE WALL.
THEORY: RUDY AND REBECCA KILLED LYLA AND THAT’S WHY HE MOVED AWAY.
Grand Rapids, Michigan,Christmas Eve-Connor
Connor’s car went missing, asked Frank about it, he said to report it. Hmm. Who stole the car…
Woman drugged the girls, I knew as soon as she said she gave them milk, gah.
“Our little girl. Lyn deserves to keep this one”, so she said “Our…” and she said “this one”, was there a previous, previous one…
YES, GO WES, “OUR” YES, WE ARE GENIUSES. So Wes thinks the woman kept the baby.
Wow, yep, the one she said was dead is actually alive and she’s been raising her.
Fishtown, Philadelphia, Christmas Eve=Rich guy
Gracie Mansion, New Years Even=Michaela
- Um, I don’t think it’s a wise decision to have a captive watch a child of the wife of the captor.
- Anneliese had Nate contact a police officer with a lead on Sam in another area.
- “If you want me to handle it, just say the word”
- THEORY: Omg, Anneliese had Frank kill Lyla I’m guessing.
- Anneliese tells Sam’s sister about him being gone and trying to cover his tracks about messing around with Lyla. Sam’s remains are found in the landfill and is under investigation.
- Omg, about Rudy, Rebecca called the cops on him “that night”, he was arrested
- Paris Paris Paris theme episode. Yayyyy. Liza Weil needs her own show. ❤
- Wes lied to Rebecca about having to be at the library, ooh.
- Rudy had mental breakdown and od’d on drugs and was taken to a mental institution the same night as Lila’s death. Ooh.
- YES, GO LAUREL, pulling a fake id for her and Wes pretending they’re married to talk to Rudy.
Rebecca’s going to the campus police. Hmm.
And then all my thoughts stopped there and I most tweeted during those last two episodes.
If you’re interested, I made a Storify of my favorite tweets from my first season watching. There are a couple Pretty Little Liars spoilers in the Storify… Some of my thoughts and tweets overlap because sometimes I went more in-depth in my “thoughts”
So the thing I found really funny about Gilmore Girls and HTGAWM is that Liza Weil is in both shows and I was trying to make my cousin watch GG.
So, judging by of my thoughts, I’m going to pat myself on the back for guessing the murderer right! YAY. I knew Frank did it, I’d just figured Annalise had set it up, but I clearly think of her as more “evil” than I should.
~SEASON TWO THOUGHTS/SPOILERS –
Here is the start of my season two thoughts which DOES include spoilers so unless you’ve watched all of season two, don’t read this section!
Theory: Okay, so Bonnie killed Rebecca because she knows Frank killed Lyla and would go to the cops OR Bonnie killed Rebecca because she had something to do with Frank. (S1E1)
Theory: Wes kills Annalise because he knows Bonnie killed Rebecca OR he kills her because she lead him on (E1)
Those were my only thoughts, except for two later theories, but they don’t matter.
BOOM! I got these two right out of the park, mostly. Bonnie did kill Rebecca, which I knew because Bonnie was slowly losing it. I knew Wes would end up injuring Annalise over Rebecca and I was righttttt. YAY!
Here is my Storify of Tweets for season two. I didn’t tweet nearly as much. This was because I was mostly writing down relevant information about the show to figure out the murders.
Yay! So I thought this was fun. If you’ve seen How To Get Away With Murder tell me what you think about it and recommend me a similar show, with shorter seasons, I like short seasons. Did you know who did it?